Back in 2016, Gary went to his doctors following a football injury to his groin. Following a head to toe examination they found a lump in his neck. He had previous issues with his tonsils but subsequent scans discovered the lump was actually a tumour.
We follow their story from the initial identification of Gary’s condition to starting long term enteral nutrition, recovery, and subsequent tremendous achievements breaking records.
- 01:40 Gary can you tell us what happened to you up to the point when you had your operation that ended up with you needing long term enteral nutrition?
- 09:55 Colette explains what happened to her and the kids whilst they were waiting for the diagnosis and treatment, how that felt, and how they arranged a wedding in three weeks
- 16:00 Gary straight after the operation you were told you required feeding for 6 weeks through a nasogastric tube, is that how it turned out?
- 18:30 Colette how was that period of recovery like for you seeing Gary immediately post op and then over the next few weeks?
- 24:40 Gary tells Marcus the motivation around how he likes to look at photographs during dark times, to see how far he has come and what he can achieve
- 27:07 When you were getting ready for Gary to be discharged, Colette how were you prepared by the hospital team and how did you prepare the family for that?
- 31:03 Colette and Gary give healthcare professionals some advice on how they can improve the patient experience in complex feeding conditions
- 36:00 Gary how did the preparation for discharge go, and when you got home how did that feel for you?
- 39:08 How did it feel for you Colette that Gary felt that way when he returned home?
- 41:40 Gary you are a keen sportsman, how did you set back off to getting into sport? [shout out to Macmillan Cancer Support – https://www.macmillan.org.uk]
- 44:00 Colette explains how they feel (and what they have to prepare) when venturing out of the house
- 49:35 THE FAMOUS PINNT TOILET ROLL STORY
- 51:01 What’s it like when you go out to a restaurant?
- 52:36 A lot of celebrations are resolved around food and drinking, do you do those things differently? (Some great tips in here – how Colette got Gary involved at Christmas.. think wooden sprouts)
- 54:00 Gary talks about how he first got involved in sport again, WHICH ACCOUNT IS TRUE??
- 55:21 Gary talks about his achievements to date – London Marathon (first tube fed person to complete) – Ran the Three Peaks – Great North Run – Yorkshire Marathon – London marathon (sub 4 hours) – 375 mile Cycling Challenge in 5.5 days from Christchurch to Durham for HAN Week 2020
- 57:00 People might see all these challenges Gary, but what goes into these challenges planning wise in terms of logistics and nutritional intake?
- 60:00 Your dietitian and nutrition nurse actually came running with you didn’t they, what did they (and you Gary) learn from this?
- 61:43 When Gary said he was going to do the London Marathon Colette what did you think?
- 66:45 What is the next big challenge Gary?
- 67:44 Can you tell us what PINNT has done and what PINNT means for you since the start of your journey?
WHAT IS NGPOD?