Liz has represented the NNNG on a number of projects with NHS England, Public Health England, the Department of Health, NNCE & the RCN, is a council member for BAPEN AND a member of the Royal College of Physicians Nutrition Committee. She has also been published a number of times in various reputable nursing journals and continues to maintain her national profile to raise awareness on the importance of nutrition.
- 01:20 – Tell us about your role as a Lead Nutrition Nurse
- 04:00 – Organisations and campaigns you’ve been involved with outside your day job, and which campaigns you are still involved with now?
- 08:20 – Liz discusses her recent article published in the Nursing Times – Ensuring patients with COVID-19 receive good nutritional care https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical…
- 08:45 – How is nutritional assessment affected in COVID-19 patients vs the non-COVID population, are there any changes to nutritional assessment that clinicians need to be aware of?
- 11:33 – Do the changes in nutritional assessment extend out into the community as well?
- 13:30 – COVID-19 patients are more likely to need NG feeding – is that something anecdotally something other nutrition nurses are talking about around the UK?
- 16:00 – Increase in need to enterally feed patients in the Acute setting, what challenges does that increase present to people on the front line of care?
- 17:59 – Are there any other areas of practice that you think might need to be addressed in general, rather than just in COVID-19 patients when preparing for if this was to happen again?
- 20:35 – Can you explain the difference in view between Public Health England (PHE) & British Association for Parenteral & Enteral Nutrition (BAPEN) on the insertion of an NG tube being an Aerosol Generating Procedure (AGP)?
- 25:30 – Difference in management of NGT’s in patients with COVID-19 that are often being nursed prone supine, what are the considerations for these patients as opposed to how NG fed patients are usually positioned and managed?
- 27:50 – Liz’s discusses BAPEN’s Aide-Memoire on Nasogastric tube placement checks before first use in critical care settings during the COVID-19 response https://www.bapen.org.uk/pdfs/covid-1…
- 31:15 – Marcus and Liz discuss the lack of awareness and focus on mouth care and WHY it is important for COVID patients than the general NG Feeding population
- Liz’s Social LinksTwitter: https://twitter.com/nutritionlizA
- Liz Anderson, Ensuring patients with COVID-19 receive good nutritional care – https://www.nursingtimes.net/clinical…
- BAPEN’S NGSIG (Nasogastric Tube Special Interest Group of BAPEN Position Paper on Nasogastric Tube Safety https://www.bapen.org.uk/pdfs/ngsig/a…
- Link to BAPEN’s aide-memoire on Nasogastric tube placement checks before first use in Critical Care settings during the COVID-19 response https://www.bapen.org.uk/pdfs/covid-1…
WHAT IS NGPOD?